Krirk University was firstly established and operated at a building on Ratchdamnoen Road in 1952 by Archarn Dr. Krirk Mangalabruks (1915-1987) the famous educator both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Krirk had an honorary degree in education from David & Elkins College in the USA. His main objective in setting up the university was teaching English only due to his professional of both teaching English and working experiences. Therefore he is the first Thai pioneer in teaching modern English to Thai students to use it efficiently. At that time, the institution had a license with the formal name “Language and Vocational Institute”.
However, the institute was well-known as the name of the founder, Dr. Krirk, for a long time. In 1961, Dr. Krirk had provided courses of study in business administration and secretarial studies that recruited students graduating M.S. 5 (M.8 or high school) to study the three-year program (Diploma).
In 1964, he started another curriculum for students who had finished M.S. 3 or M.6 (currently called M.3) to study for high vocational certificate.
In 1965, the Language and Vocational Institute moved to Tambol Bangduan, Amphur Muang, Samut Prakarn Province with the new name of “Krirk Wittayalai School”.
In 1969, there was an announcement of using of the act of private college establishment that permitted the private sector to organize higher education. Krirk Wittayalai School, therefore, submitted an application for establishing a private college named “Krirk College” that had management separately from Krirk Wittayalai School.
Krirk College was approved by the Ministry of University Affairs to set up the private college legally on May 28, 1966 which was the first group of private colleges in Thailand. Later in the same year, Krirk College was approved to operate undergraduate programs in the faculty of Business Administration and in the faculty of Economics.
In 1973, the degree obtained from Krirk College was accredited, honorably and had equal standing to the public university. With the purpose to emphasize mainly educational management, Krirk College was upgraded to be “The Institute of Social Technology (Krirk)” by the Ministry of University Affairs from September 15, 1987 onwards.
The Institute offered curriculums in undergraduate programs and graduate programs in several fields. Being ready in all aspects, therefore, The Institute of Social Technology (Krirk) was approved by the Ministry of University Affairs to be “Krirk University” on February 7, 1995.